If you are intending to install laminate floors in your home, this guide will inform you how to care for your investment so it lasts as long as you expect. With proper maintenance and cleaning, you are going to get the maximum life in the floors, and keep it looking it’s ideal for many decades.
Laminate floors are extremely easy to care for, but it’s very important that you clean them on a regular basis. Their melamine wear layer can be scraped and scuffed by grit and grime, cutting back the glow of the flooring and generating a dull look. Within this section we will look at how to clean laminate flooring, the supplies and tools you will need and how to manage minor laminate floor repairs.
How to Clean Laminate Floors
First be sure that you have the proper mop for the occupation. The best method to clean laminate flooring is using a microfiber mop.
Microfiber mops slip across the floor picking up dirt and pet hair effortlessly. The swivel heads make it super fast to cover large areas, they get under chairs and tables readily, plus they need less water, which is best because laminate flooring warps easily if exposed to water.
Next Step You can either buy a producer’s cleaning solution or create one yourself (scroll down to view my recipe for homemade laminate flooring cleaner below). In any event you’ll want a spray bottle to spray the cleanup solution onto the mop pad.
- Dry mop with your microfiber mop OR use a vacuum onto the wood floors setting to suck up big dust bunnies and hair tumbleweeds
- Dampen the microfiber pad with warm water and spray on the cleaning solution of your choice
mop the floor
- When the microfiber pad becomes too dirty simply — rinse, replace and continue
- When you’re finished rinse the microfiber pad and put it in the washing machine on sanitary wash
Restore the Shine on your Laminate Floor
As laminate flooring gathers dirt over time it will lose its original glow. Instead of leaving the floor looking dull and dirty, homeowners should devote a little time and attempt to restore the glow on their laminate floors.
Dirt can be readily cleaned away by vacuuming or sweeping. Hard debris and small rocks should be cleaned away softly as they can scrape the laminate surface. After the dust and debris have been removed, use a cloth-strip mop to mop the floor. Most homeowners use cleaning products whenever they mop their laminate flooring, but the majority of the time, using water is great enough. Put some vinegar in the water to prevent water stains from forming. Squeeze out as much water as possible when cleaning, so that the floor can dry more quickly.
If cleaning and mopping do not put the shine back in your laminate floor, it’s likely that the floor is coated with residue. Residue can accumulate over time by a build up of cleaning products and is more difficult to eliminate than the standard debris and dirt. To eliminate residue without damaging the laminate floors, place some vinegar on a clean cloth and then wipe a little part of the ground. Keep wiping until a shiny spot is revealed under the residue. Then continue to operate on the rest of the floor until it becomes glossy again.
Important Tips Caring For Laminate Floors
- Do not use soap-based detergents, as these can leave a dull finish on your floor.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring powder, as these can scratch your flooring.
- Use doormats outside each entrance to your house to avoid dirt, sand, grit and other materials such as asphalt, oil and driveway sealer from being tracked onto your floor.
- For furnishings, use wide-bearing, non-staining floor protectors, for example clear, hard plastic or non-staining felt protections, for heavy furnishings.
- Promptly remove all liquid spills, including pet pee.
Thankfully, then, the very best way to clean laminate floors is with minimal work and elbow grease. You would be forgiven for thinking that laminate flooring is waterproof, but regrettably, it is not. In fact, laminate floorboards are seldom water-resistant, and so in regards to cleaning laminate floors, The very best way to keep the shine on laminate floors is to clean it frequently. I hope you enjoyed my guide and in case you believed it was helpful, please share it with your friends!